- She Dares
From She Dares to We Dare
Ramsar Palawala is a rural village in Rajasthan whose economy is based on the cultivation of guar.
Guar is the raw material for the production of our hydrocolloids, which are used in various industrial applications and in Personal Care.
In April 2021 we started the “She Dares” project to provide education for women of the community to improve their craft techniques and sell their products, providing an alternative source of income for their families.
After 18 months of intervention, with more than 75 farmer families involved, the "She Dares" program ensures a substantial income to these families with women contributing equally to the family as men.
Frequenting the village community we learnt that a reasonable number of men have discontinued to do farming to take up odd jobs in and around the village, mainly because of the dependency of harvest on rainfall, coupled with lack of resources, inaccessibility to fair markets and poor agricultural techniques and practices.
We have therefore designed “We Dare” a new and innovative program that will focus in 2023-24 on encouraging and helping farmers good practices.
"We Dare" will work on the welfare of farmers and help them earn enough through agriculture to lead wholesome and quality life while the women will continue to work in the "She Dares" community center to earn additional income. In this way both pillars of the family will earn thereby building an ecosystem of sustainable rural life for themselves and the future generations.
We Dare's goal is to increase the livelihood of rural communities in Ramsar Palawala by enhancing resilience of agriculture through the development, promotion, and adoption of Sustainable Guar Farming Practices.
The phases of the project will be:
- Understand existing agriculture scenario (area, challenges, markets, soil and water quality , agronomic practices)
- Promotion of sustainable Good Agricultural practices in the local community
- Farmer training (10 farmers identified from "She Dares" families)
- Establishment of a Farmers' Club to ensure the trained farmers pass on their knowledge to other families
- Creation of common facility areas to provide quality seeds, manure and other equipment to farmers.